If you’re new to Pinterest, you may find it somehow complicated at first – what is its purpose, how do you use it and what are its targeted users. Compared to this social network, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook seem pretty straightforward. A good place to start your search for a more in-depth understanding of this media is Pinterest statistics. Believe it or not, crafting the correct Pinterest strategy can also be very profitable, especially if you’re a marketer or a business owner.
Check out our list of useful stats below to find out everything you need to know about the social network designed to nurture user creativity and promote the exchange of ideas.
Pinterest Statistics 101 (Editor’s Pick)
- Millennials who use Pinterest spend 17% more compared to their peers who don’t use the social media network.
- Pinterest is already the marketing platform of choice for 28% of marketers worldwide.
- After finding something new on Pinterest, nearly 98% of users end up trying new products/ideas/brands.
- 60% of new signups on Pinterest are women, leaving the remaining 40% to men.
- Mobile is the access platform of choice for eight in every 10 (80%) of the platform’s users worldwide.
- Pinterest drives a higher percentage of traffic than Twitter, Snapchat, and Facebook.
Pinterest Stats Insights
1. 40% of US fathers use Pinterest.
With only 20% of male pinners today, it is safe to say that women dominate the user base of this social network. However, recent Pinterest user stats indicate that more and more fathers are turning to this platform for various activities, including planning for fatherhood, shopping, and conducting research. For example, in comparison to male users as a whole, fathers are almost 1.5 times more likely to search the social network for healthy recipes. The platform has helped 82% of dads find new products. Compared to an average male pinner, fathers are three times more likely to have shared boards. Moreover, an average pinner is 62% less likely to conduct an active search than a dad in the US. Pretty surprising, right?
2. More than half of Pinterest pins represent brands and products.
Similar to other social media networks, Pinterest provides users, brands, and marketers alike with a great opportunity to connect and increase their revenue as a result. A report by Omnicore reveals that products and brands on Pinterest account for more than two-thirds of all pins. Pinterest popularity is higher than ever, and there are no signs of it slowing down. In other words, if your business is not on the platform yet, it’s high time you did something about it.
3. Pinterest has 300+ million active monthly users worldwide.
Pinterest is and has been on a steady rise. In 2019, it crossed the 300+ million mark, registering 325 million monthly pinners, up 26% year-on-year. The media has been rapidly expanding its international pool of users, who have helped the company grow despite the threefold decline in US user numbers. Much of this success has to do with Pinterest’s decision to boost shoppable products and video content, as well as improve search recommendations altogether.
4. 85% of women use Pinterest to plan their “life moments.”
The majority of Pinterest users are females because women feel a deeper emotional connection with the platform and tend to use it for inspiration in their creative endeavors. Planning life moments is among the popular reasons ladies turn to the platform, according to a study by Pinterest covering female users from the US aged 25-54. Interestingly, only 44% of female participants use Instagram for the same purpose, while another 53% turn to Facebook. “Life moments” include decorating a new home, going on vacation, meals, пarty planning, and gym routines.
5. After finding something new on Pinterest, nearly 98% of users end up trying new products/ideas/brands.
Of all facts about Pinterest, this one may come in handy and encouraging if you happen to be a marketer or a business owner looking for a new way to expand your customer base. A remarkable 98% of Pinterest subscribers actually try out new stuff they find while surfing the platform. This fact could go a long way if you require a new marketing channel to advertise your products or brand, so you should definitely give this strategy some serious thought.
(Influencer Marketing Hub)
6. Millennials who use Pinterest spend 17% more compared to their peers who don't use it.
Pinterest age demographics show that the favorite platform of more than half of all US millennials. Millennial Pinners have good careers that provide them with enough money to buy the products they like. Pinterest data shows Millennial Pinners tend to spend 17% more than other Millennials. Penetration is deepest in the 25-29 age bracket, meaning this is where you’d be wise to focus your marketing efforts if you’re looking to use Pinterest as an active marketing channel.
(Business of Apps)
7. Every single day users spend an average of 14 minutes and 12 seconds on the platform.
Pinterest stats reveal that the average time users spend on the platform every day is 14 minutes and 12 seconds. This is much shorter than the average time users spend across various other social media networks. For example, YouTube users typically spend 40 minutes on the platform; for Snapchat, it’s 49.5 minutes, Instagram – 53 minutes, with Facebook in the lead with 58.5 minutes daily. However, when it comes to rating the quality of their time on the network, Pinterest subscribers are two times more likely to qualify their time as useful.
8. Mobile is the access platform of choice for eight in every ten Pinterest users worldwide.
It’s no surprise that a vast majority of users choose mobile over desktop platforms. After all, mobile platforms offer unprecedented convenience, ease of use, mobility, and practicality that desktop platforms just can’t match. With this in mind, make sure to optimize your online store or website’s mobile browsing experience on the platform. This will help drive traffic and, ultimately, sales.
9. The total number of Pinterest pins to date exceeds 200 billion.
For those of you wondering who has the most pins on Pinterest, a recent 2019 study by Social Champ reveals that there are 200 billion pins on the platform to date, which makes roughly 670 pins per user. 99% of these pins contain some sort of image. In contrast, only 0.3% contain video despite the growing popularity of video content across all forms of social media. The point is that you need to come up with an excellent marketing strategy to ensure your content stands out in the ocean of over 14 million articles that platform users pin every single day.
10. 28% of marketers worldwide use Pinterest in their campaigns.
Whether you’re a marketer or a business owner, at some point you’ve certainly asked yourself the question, “Is Pinterest still popular?” The truth is that some 28% of marketers around the world use Pinterest in their campaigns, and this share is constantly rising. Users are looking beyond the brands they already know. Stats show that 97% of Pinterest searches are non-branded. Additionally, after seeing a pin in a promotion, one in every two people actually move on to make a purchase. Compared to other platforms, pinners continually rate ads on the platform as nearly one and a half times more useful and relevant.
11. 60% of new signups on Pinterest are women.
It’s no secret that men on Pinterest comprise an overwhelming minority. Women account for 60% of new signups on the platform, leaving the remaining 40% to men. In fact, only 7% of the total pins on the platform today come from male members. The numbers are so much in favor of the fairer gender that females make up more than 71% of all pinners to date.
12. Pinterest drives higher traffic than Twitter, Snapchat, and Facebook.
The Pinterest user base has a higher click-through rate than the users of Twitter (200%), Snapchat (71%), and Facebook (33%). What these numbers mean for you is that it’s pretty clear where you should invest the majority of your marketing resources. Pinteresters click through to shopping sites far more than the previous social media networks, which can be wondrous for your online business/website. Take note of this statistic and craft your marketing strategy accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many active users does Pinterest have?
The latest official estimates from 2019 put Pinterest’s monthly active user base at 325 million worldwide. The platform was launched in 2012 and in just nine months, it already had 10,000 users. Today, it is one of the most popular social networks around the world with huge business potential that allows marketers to achieve their key traffic and brand recognition goals.
2. Who uses Pinterest?
Female pinners are far more active than male users of the platform. However, the number of men on the platform has been increasing gradually. Currently, 60% of all new Pinterest signups are from women, leaving the remaining 40% to men. Overall, 72% of the network’s users are ladies, but the share of men has been rising rapidly in recent years. Female pinners usually go to the network in search of inspiration for creativity and ideas, while men tend to use it as a visual bookmarking tool. Pinterest is particularly popular among men who have kids; 42$ of Amerikan fathers use the platform, according to data by Marketing Dive.
3. Who has the most followers on Pinterest 2020?
Joy Cho/Oh Joy! is the champion Pinner with the highest number of followers in 2020 so far. This user currently has almost 12 million followers, more than 30,000 pins and 70+ boards, Trackalytics data shows. Joy Cho is a designer, food enthusiast, and blogger. Her pins feature everything from breathtaking architecture to mouth-watering recipes, gardening, hairstyles, etc.
4. What is the average age of Pinterest users?
Nearly 28% of all adult social media users in the US use Pinterest. More than one-third of them (35%) are 30 to 49 years old, according to the Pew Research Center. Coming in at a close second, at 34%, are users between the ages of 18 and 29. More than 50% of millennials also use the platform daily. Pinterest also sets an age limit for its users, much like other social media networks. Users must be 13 years or older to create an account, according to the network’s guidelines.
The Pinterest engagement rate continues to grow steadily and is currently seven times higher than Facebook’s. Providing a fertile ground for its users to share ideas and creativity in unique ways, Pinterest is one of the great coups of the digital age.
Pinterest is the perfect tool for budding websites and startups with limited budgets. Even if you feel skeptical about the benefits of Pinterest, it is worth giving it a try. After all, the only investment you will need to make is a bit of your own time. And the benefits could be enormous, as demonstrated by our list of Pinterest statistics.