Social media has become a way to connect 4.76 billion people. Millennials, in particular, utilize these platforms extensively, with 61% using them to keep in touch with family and friends.
These statistics highlight the central role of social media in communication, connections, and information sharing.
- Around 4.76 billion people use social media worldwide.
- 61% of Millennials use social media to contact family and friends.
- 69% of Millennials prefer to use Facebook, and only 37% of Gen Zers prefer the platform.
- 50% and 44% of Gen Z and Millennials use social media as news sources.
- 75% of millennials and Gen Zers use Snapchat.
- Approximately 37% of the global population uses Facebook.
- 54% of Gen Zers use social media four or more hours daily.
- In the US, 87% of Millenials and 96% of Gen Z watch YouTube.
- East Asia has the highest number of social media users.
- Instagram has over 2 Billion monthly active users.
Facts About Gen Z & Millennials’ Social Media Usage
Gen Z and Millennials use social media for news and staying connected. These generations spend a lot of time on social media platforms, with Facebook as the top choice for Millennials.
Learn more about how these two generations use social media differently, with varying platform preferences.
1. 69% of Millennials prefer to use Facebook, and only 37% of Gen Zers prefer the platform.
Facebook’s popularity among Millennials remains strong, as 69% use it compared to other social media platforms. In contrast, only 37% of Gen Z users are on Facebook. Millennials’ platform usage decreased from 75% in late 2021 to 69% in November 2022.
| Fun Fact|
Gen Z comprises 26% of the population, and this generation loves to create and share memes in their daily activities.
2. 69% of Gen Zers are big fans of TikTok, while only 49% of Millennials use it.
More than 65% of Gen Z users engage with the TikTok app. The app has emerged as a preferred social platform for this generation and a sought-after marketing channel for brands targeting the younger generation.
3. 61% of Millennials use social media to contact family and friends.
Millennials increasingly rely on social media to connect with loved ones, with 63% boosting their usage in the past year. 46% of Millennials anticipate further growth in the following years. Additionally, 72% of Millenials view social media as indispensable, surpassing all other age groups.
4. 50% and 44% of Gen Z and Millennials use social media as news sources.
Social media remains a primary source of news and information for Gen Z and Millennials. 50% of Gen Z and 44% of Millennials consume daily news from varying social media platforms. They also turn to these platforms for weekly news updates.
5. 66% of the Gen Z population says social media is integral to their daily lives.
Gen Z is known as the most digitally savvy generation. With most of their lives spent online, it’s no surprise that social media significantly impacts how they grow up.
This tech-savvy generation is changing the landscape of social media usage. 66% of Gen Z consumers prove this by viewing social media as an integral part of their lives.
6. 75% of millennials and Gen Zers use Snapchat.
In Q3 2022, Snapchat reached 75% of 13 to 34-year-olds across 20+ countries. This information can be helpful for businesses when considering marketing their products on the said social media platform.
7. 54% of Gen Zers use social media for four or more hours daily.
54% of Gen Zers said the average time spent on social media is four or more hours daily. Only 4% of this generation use social media for less than one hour daily. This duration is also the same for 20% of US adults using social media. The data shows how Gen Zers spend longer on social media than the general US adult population.
|Did You Know?|
Nigeria spends the most time on social media. Here are the top 5 countries with their average time spent on social networks:
Nigeria: 4 hours and 7 minutes a day
Philippines: 4 hours and 6 minutes a day
India: 2 hours 35 minutes a day
US: 2 hours 14 minutes a day
China: 1 hour 57 minutes a day
Know how much time people spend on social media through this article.
8. Millennials prefer Instagram stories over other formats on Instagram.
Instagram stories are the preferred format for millennials compared to other forms available. A staggering 60% of millennials use Instagram stories, making it the most popular platform for sharing online content among this demographic.
General Social Media Statistics:
Social Media has made information and entertainment reachable with just one click and scroll from people’s devices. It also has brought many cultural and technological advances.
The statistics below highlight the immense influence of social media on how people connect and consume online content.
9. Around 4.88 billion people use social media worldwide.
According to a report from Datareportal, the number of internet users worldwide reached 4.88 billion in the 3rd Quarter of 2023. This number represents 60.6% of the total global population.
10. Approximately 37% of the global population uses Facebook.
According to DataReportal’s ranking of the world’s most ‘active’ social media platforms, Facebook has secured the top spot with 2.963 billion monthly active users in January 2023.
While data shows that Facebook’s growth is slowing down, the social media platform still maintains an impressive reach, with approximately 37% of the population using the platform.
11. In the US, 87% of Millenials and 96% of Gen Z watch YouTube.
In May 2022, an online survey in the United States found that 96 percent of Gen Z users (born between 1997 and 2012) had a YouTube account, while 87 percent of Millennials were registered on YouTube. Both generations enjoy the popular streaming platform.
12. East Asia has the highest number of social media users.
East Asia, comprising countries such as China, Japan, and South Korea, stands at the forefront of social media usage, with over 1.2 billion users. This number of users constitutes 14.9% of the world’s population, indicating the region’s significant influence in the digital realm.
13. Instagram has over 2 billion monthly active users.
(CNBC, Sprout Social)
Instagram boasts 2 billion monthly active users, making the platform a massive business market. Billions of individuals could engage with a brand, making it a staple social media platform for small and huge companies.
| Did You Know?|
Millennials are expected to form the largest group of US social media users until 2026.
Comparing Millennials and Gen Z regarding social media usage reveals intriguing insights into their digital behaviors. Gen Z prefers newer platforms like TikTok and Instagram, while Millennials prefer Facebook.
These findings suggest that the disparities between these two generations go beyond age. Each group has its distinct preferences and priorities when it comes to using social media.
FAQs on Millenials vs. Gen Z Social Media Usage
Millennials are highly active on social media, spending an average of 2 hours and 38 minutes daily.
Globally, Gen Z-ers spend an average of 8 hours per day online.
TikTok is the most popular social media platform of Gen Z.